“I want to see NIT, Rourkela as a global brand”

Prof. Sunil Kumar Sarangi is the first director of National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela, earlier known as Regional Engineering College (REC). Prof. Sarangi was educated at Ravenshaw College. After studying Mechanical Engineering at IIT, Kharagpur, he joined the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1971 and was awarded PhD in Radiation Heat Transfer. In 1977, he joined Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad after a brief stint at the PRL, he joined IIT Kharagpur as a faculty. His areas of interest are cryogenic Processes and Equipment, Heat Exchanger and Expansion machines. He was a professor and head of Cryogenic Department for a long time before joining as the NIT, Rourkela director.   Prof. Sarangi is well known for his scholarly contribution and for his able administration.

In an interview with Santosh Kumar Jagdev, Rourkela correspondent of ‘The Political and Business Daily’ (PBD), Prof. Sarangi takes readers through his long academic journey.

PBD: For the benefit of our readers, please tell us a little about your childhood?

Prof. S K Sarangi: I hail from Phulnakhra under Niali Police Station in Cuttack district. My father, a devout Brahmin, was a school teacher in a middle school. He later got into government primary school and ended up as a priest. I had my schooling up to class VII from the Middle English Medium School in my village. I had to walk nine Kilometers, which included wading through a river on the way, to catch a bus at the nearest bus stop at Adaspur to reach my school. Our Headmaster Rajat Mohanty introduced us to the idea of bright students going for a district level scholarship examination in Cuttack. The first visit to the city was also my exposure to an electric bulb, a ceiling fan and the general hustle and bustle of a city.

In 1959, by virtue of my scholarship, I got a seat in a Government school. Being the son of a school teacher, I received another Scholarship in 1963 to study at Ravenshaw College and did my Pre-University in Science. I was not much of a sportsman or a music talent but was fairly good in studies. The one subject that I loved most was mathematics.

PBD: Now, about your higher education?

Prof. Sarangi: After getting an All India Rank in IIT entrance exam in 1965, I completed my B Tech degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) from IIT Kharagpur in 1970. I did my PhD in State University of New York at Stony Brook from 1971-1974.  

PBD: What kind of experience did you get while pursing your PhD at Stony Brook in New York?

Prof. Sarangi: I had a memorable experience while pursuing my PhD at Stony Brook in New York. It is a wonderful University. Prof. P Varanasi was my guide as the research work is in area of Radiation Heat Transfer. I have worked with many notable professors in many fields like Radiation of heat, astronomy, astrophysics, and atmospheric physics. I studied four years regarding quantitative heat transfer and analysis, measurements etc.

PBD: Did you have a particular career goal after completing your PhD?

Prof. Sarangi: After the completion of my PhD degree, I got a Scholarship from Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) and joined as faculty member in Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad in 1977. With an Infrared Astronomy Group, I got a chance in building a telescope to be put on Mount Guru Sikhar in Mount Abu. Being a ME and an untrained astronomer, I was one of the team members in designing, building, learning etc. Then I realized that I was becoming more and more of an astronomer and less an ME. As I was not trained as an astronomer, I was getting very uncomfortable being a scientist without a formal education in the subject. I would have been more proud to be a ME. So, I looked for a position at IIT in hardcore ME. However, I joined IIT Kharagpur as a faculty member for Cryogenic Engineering because of immediate vacancy. It is a sub stream of ME dealing with cryogenic and related to very low temperature processes such as air liquefaction, cryogenic engines (for rocket propulsion), cryogenic surgery. The temperatures at which the processes take place can range from absolute zero i.e., temperature at -273 degree Celsius. It has domestic, Commercial, Scientific, medical and defense applications.    

PBD: What you want to say about these NITs and about other institutes of technical excellence?

Prof. Sarangi: NITs are committed to the goal of making India a world leader in science and technology and they have done their best to inculcate a spirit of scientific excellence among all their faculty, staff and students. Honesty, hard work and team spirit are the three principles that have always guided the NITs. To me University is a place where knowledge is created; it may be on 5-15 acres or on 100- 1000 acres. But Universities like IITs, IIMs and national level universities which have 500-1000 acres of land can provide more disciplines and branches to become store-houses of knowledge. More number of branches means more researchers in a particular subject or branch.

PBD: Tell us about the challenging times that you had in your illustrious career?

Prof. Sarangi: After joining as the Director of NIT, Rourkela, there were certain challenges to overcome. First and foremost, I had to motivate my faculty and students to believe in themselves and made them realize their potential that they are second to none. I tried to instill in them a sense of pride as an NITian. I made them believe in brand NIT. Now-a-days, branding is very important to see yourself at the global level. I encouraged research activity in all discipline and my prime objective was to bring out the creative talent of both faculty members and students.


PBD: Where would you want to see NIT Rourkela in a few years from now?
Prof. Sarangi: Since 1961, NIT Rourkela has worked towards becoming one of the most renowned technological institutions in the country. Today, the institution is recognized as an institute of national importance, along with the IITs and IIMs. This institute has been known for its hospitality for more than four decades, and we have strived hard to keep the tradition. As the Director of the Institute, the best that I can hope for NIT, Rourkela is for its to emerge as a national and even international brand.

PBD: Some NITs are apparently planning to have medical school and law school in their campuses. Have you thought along those lines at NIT Rourkela?
Prof. Sarangi: NIT is marching ahead and in time to come, it will definitely occupy a leading position at the national level in terms of academic accomplishments. We have set targets to achieve excellence in academics by innovation and research methodologies. We have thought of providing adequate infrastructure to boost academic activities. With seventeen departments awarding degrees in engineering, science and management, we are one of the most diversified institutions. Recently, we have added some new departments and programmes like Industrial Designing, Coal Mining or Data Mining, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, B Tech+M Tech 5 years Dual Degree and 5-years Integrated M Sc. degree in the disciplines of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. As for medical school and law institute, we don’t have any such plans as they require more land and more resources.

PBD: Tell us something about your academic achievements and accolades as a director of NIT?

Prof. Sarangi: I was awarded Think Odisha Leadership award 2011-12 by The Times of India group, Best Government Engineering College in 2011 by Star News, Ranked 2nd amongst all NITs in 2011, Ranked 12th amongst Best Tech Schools in India by DataQuest, Received award for outstanding contribution to education as a director by World Education Congress 2012.

PBD: Where do you see yourself post retirement?

Prof. Sarangi: Haven't thought of that as of now. I have a lot to do before I retire. In the words of Robert Frost “The woods are lovely, dark and deep; But I have promises to keep and miles to go, And miles to go before I sleep.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos that speak ‘in defence of civilization’

Prithvi-II test fired successfully

Santhali writer nominated for Sahitya Academy award